On the weekends I don’t want to fuss around in the kitchen all day, although I do tend to be in there for a while. I find myself making cakes and snacks for the rest of the week, but I really try to not spend hours making dinner. As I continue to empty my pantry and refrigerator for our upcoming summer holiday (we’ll be gone for 6 weeks) I find myself becoming more and more creative with how to use up so many ingredients.
Sometimes, there just random items thrown into a pot with my fingers crossed that it turns out delicious. I love it when I do that and my family goes gaga over it! That’s exactly what happened with this recipe. I had several Mexican-inspired ingredients, like Black Bean Rotini Pasta, tons of cheese and Enchilada Sauce that I really needed to use.
So on a whim I threw in some chicken and some other vegetables that I had and in 30 minutes we had a seriously delicious soup dinner that was not only filling but easy to make. I cannot stress to you how important it is to keep cooked and shredded chicken and beef in the freezer. You’ll save so much time on future recipes and I hardly notice a taste difference. When you have the meat already prepared you just need to add some vegetables and a sauce to make a quick meal.
That gets me to the vegetables, adding roasted vegetables as opposed to sautéed vegetables to a soup really adds an extra flavour dimension. Just remember to add them to the soup to at the end of the cooking process so they don’t get mushy.
Enjoy this recipe!
An easy soup that you can prepare in less than 30 minutes. I used Black Bean Rotini Noodles but you can easily change that for any pasta you have on hand.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 3 Garlics smashed
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 12 ounce Trader Joe's Black Bean Pasta or Plain Noodles
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 10 Baby Corns, cut in 1" rounds
- 1 bunch Green Onions, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F. Toss the bell peppers, onions and garlic in the olive oil and pour onto a baking sheet. Roast the vegetables for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
- While the vegetables are roasting, in a large pot, add the chicken broth and enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, tomatoes and cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- When the roasted vegetables are done, add them to the pot of soup, along with the pasta and cheese. Boil for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with extra cheese, black olives, tomatoes and green onions