This recipe for Apple Orange Cranberry Sauce with Frozen Cranberries has 2 good tips to give the sauce a scrumptious crunch and is ready in less than 15 minutes!
I don’t care if I’m the only one who eats cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. I am going to continue making it, and eating it all on my own. Last year, I bought a jar of Cranberry Sauce from Amelia’s- which I ended up eating in Molly’s kitchen. When it was time to serve the cranberry sauce, there was no more than a spoonful left. But this year I didn’t have time to get Amelia’s, but I do have frozen cranberries in the freezer.
This does pose a bit of a problem…
Ok, so I’ve never made cranberry sauce with frozen cranberries. I always use fresh. Fresh cranberries still have a bit of a crunch even after cooking that I crave! But alas, here I am. In China. No fresh. Nowhere. A friend actually smuggled in a bag of cranberries one year. I was so jealous. What a genius!
I have a choice. Make the sauce using frozen or forgo the cranberry sauce… STOP STOP… Let’s just be honest here… that’s not going to happen. Not in a million years. Cranberry sauce has to be on the Thanksgiving table. No question. No negotiations. I’ll have to use frozen cranberries to create…
Apple Orange Cranberry Sauce with Frozen Cranberries.
I’m not going to let frozen cranberries stop me from enjoying my favourite part of Thanksgiving!
Since the frozen berries weren’t going to give the sauce the crunch-especially after cooking them, I added a chopped apple towards the end of the cooking time and a handful of cranberries to the sauce before serving it. These two little tricks will add a lot more flavour and texture to the sauce. Apple Orange Cranberry Sauce with Frozen Cranberries is my new favourite cranberry sauce (until I can get my hands on fresh cranberries again!)
The next cranberry sauce recipe I’m going to make is using dried cranberries. While I was lucky and ordered a bag of frozen cranberries a while ago, Fields sold out before Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Dinner isn't complete without a spoonful of Apple-Orange Cranberry Sauce- ready in only 15 minutes!
5 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/2 Orange, zest and juiced
- (10oz) 300g frozen Cranberries (1/2 cup reserved and thawed)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 2 pieces Candied Ginger, diced small (grated fresh ginger or ground ginger can also be used)
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, mix together
- 1 Apple, peeled and cored, diced small
- In a small saucepan, add all of the ingredients except the apples, reserved 1/2 cup of cranberries and cornstarch-water mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the apples and cornstarch mixture. Continue simmering 2-3 minutes or when the sauce has thickened.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve stir in the 1/2 cup (THAWED) reserved cranberries.
The cranberry sauce can be made 2 days ahead and stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.