It’s that time again. After a number of fruity and lemony desserts, Mr. Nomad gets something chocolate-y. He’s a fan of brownies. Huge fan. Me? Um. It’s complicated. I like them fine enough. From the entire pan, I’ll probably have one. A warm freshly baked brownie is good with a cup of coffee.
As for Mr. Nomad a brownie is good with coffee, milk, for breakfast, lunch or dinner, as a late night snack, in the car… In his words, there is no right time to have brownie. Every minute of every day is the right time.
This dessert has two elements, the Arabic Coffee Brownies and the Cardamom Chocolate Frosting. Let’s talk about each part separately…
To begin, how do Arabic Coffee Brownies compare to a regular old brownie? Let me just tell you, it’s a million times more amazing. It’s like the adult version of brownies. Adding a bit Arabic coffee makes this good old brownie recipe more refined. More sophisticated shall I say? Don’t have Arabic coffee? Buy some! Or if you’re in the neighborhood pop on by for a cup of coffee and a little take away container of the coffee you can use to make your own Arabic Coffee Brownies with Cardamom Chocolate Frosting. And before you ask me, Can I substitute good ol’ American Coffee or Italian Espresso in place of the Arabic? No! No! No! I said NOO!! (okay actually you can but then it’s called American Coffee Brownie or Italian Coffee Brownie… so no!)
But I didn’t just stop at the Arabic Coffee Brownie. No a brownie this good needs to be dressed up and made to feel special… You know what’s special? Cardamom. After all, it encourages digestion. Does that mean cardamom actually takes away some of the calories from a brownie? Yes it does. Is this true or did I make it up? It doesn’t matter does it? It really doesn’t… All you need to know is the combination of the Arabic Coffee and the chocolate and the cardamom is the most magnificent, heavenly, tastiest, scrumptious, amazing…. way to eat brownies.
Yields 8x8 Pan
These Arabic Coffee Brownies with Cardamom Chocolate Frosting taste just as good as a cup of Arabic coffee! The center is perfectly gooey and the cardamom frosting is as heavenly as it gets!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 4 ounces Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon Dark Cocoa Powder + Unsweetened Cocoa Powder to equal 1/3 cup total
- 1 tablespoon ground Arabic Coffee
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salty
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk ( I use 2%) + 2-3 Tablespoons if needed
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Once they are just combined, stir the brownies 20 times.
- Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper. Evenly spread the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamed.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the 2-3 tablespoons of milk. Stir to combine before turning on the mixer.
- Beat on high for 5 minutes or until the frosting is creamy.
- If the frosting is too thick add another tablespoon of milk at a time until it reaches the correct consistency.
- Spread over cooled brownies. Store leftover frosting in the refrigerator.