These Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cups are full of shredded carrots, raisins and walnuts and they’re healthier and even more delicious than traditional Carrot Cake! They make the perfect on-the-go breakfast or afternoon treat!
My first article for Shanghai Family Magazine was Oatmeal Cups. Since the first article way back in January 2016 I have made the recipe with a variety of different add-ins. Anything from chocolate chips to blueberries and even cinnamon spiced apples, the basic recipe is seriously so versatile that the possibilities are endless.
And lately I’ve had a craving for carrot cake, but I know if I make it I’ll eat the whole cake on my own. I’m crazy for carrot cake. So I decided to take my favorite cake and turn it into a delicious and healthy-ish! Why is it only healthy-ish? Even though the Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cups are loaded with walnuts, raisins and lots of shredded carrots, it has my guilty pleasure on top…. Cream Cheese Frosting!
I remember as a kid eating slice after slice of my mom’s Carrot Cake. The best part about it? The 1″ layer of cream cheese frosting on top. I would eat the cake part first, saving the frosting so I could savor it at the end. Mmm!! So delicious!
It could be super healthy- just skip the Cream Cheese Frosting but in this bloggers humble opinion sometimes life is just better with a big ol’ swirl of cream cheese frosting!
These Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cups are full of shredded carrots, raisins and walnuts and they're healthier and even more delicious than traditional Carrot Cake! They make the perfect on-the-go breakfast or afternoon treat!
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Vanilla
- 1 Banana, ripe and mashed
- 1/4 cup (85g) Honey, Agave or Maple Syrup
- 2 1/2 cups (225g) Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped Walnuts, optional
- 1 teaspoon (5g) Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5g) Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5g) Salt
- 1 1/4 cups (300ml) Milk
- 1 cup prepared Cream Cheese Frosting
- To Garnish: Extra raisins, chopped walnuts and shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a large mixing bowl add the banana and dry ingredients. In a separate bowl (preferably with a spout) whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the agave and carrots and stir to combine.
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop mixture into cupcake liners. Do not overfill.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Top with extra Raisins, walnuts and shredded carrots and a huge dollop of Cream Cheese Frosting!