Sorry everyone but no Menu Monday this week. My daughter has a Zumba performance tonight followed by a potluck banquet.
It took me a about a minute to figure out what I would bring. My dear friend Faye’s famous Cheeseburger Egg Rolls! Every time she makes them, my kids eat the entire plate. One after the other after the other after the… It’s funny how you remember people by the food they make when you live so far away. Faye’s an excellent cook. I love that her food is never complicated but always so full of flavor! What I would completely complicate and take me 3 hours to make, Faye can whip it out in no time and it’s so freaking good!! When I asked her for the recipe she laughed and said, it’s meat, cheese and onions fried in an egg roll.
Here is my take on Faye’s Delicious Cheeseburger Rolls. First, I baked as opposed to fried. Not a huge fan of the smell associated with frying. I also used spring rolls as not egg rolls. The rolls were less crunchy than if I used egg roll wrappers but that’s what I had available so…. Baked Cheeseburger Spring Rolls were born!
As good as Faye’s? Of course not but they’re still pretty darn delicious. Next time I’ll double the amount of cheese!
Cheeseburger Spring Rolls
- 1.5 t (7.5g) Garlic Powder
- 1 medium Red Onion, diced
- 1T (15ml) Worcestershire
- 1.5 lbs (750g) Ground Beef
- 1 1/2 cups (275g) Cheddar Cheese (or more)
- 1T (15ml) Mustard
- 1t (5g) Salt
- 1/2t (2.5g) Black Pepper
- 25-30 Pickle Slices, chopped
- Heat oil and add onions. Sauté until onions are soft. Add beef and continue to sauté until browned. Drain any fat.
- Add ketchup, mustard, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to coat on low heat.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Stir in 1/2 cup pickles and 1.5 cups cheddar cheese
Wet the edges of the spring roll wrapper with water. With corner of the spring roll wrapper pointing towards you, place 2T mixture in center. Fold outer corners in and then lower corner up. Then roll.
- Brush water along edges of roll to seal shut.
- Place on a grease wire rack over a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Brush wrapped rolls with vegetable oil.
- Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until spring roll is golden brown