I tried my hand on the Spaghetti Pie a few weeks ago. While not a complete success it was delicious. Not to be discouraged by my initial failed attempt at recreating a creative Italian dish, I decided to try it again. This time I used rigatoni noodles and Alfredo sauce and like before I used the springform pan.
Lining up the noodles vertically only took a few minutes but unlike pictures I’ve seen online, the noodles are not a perfect circle. Some are round, some are flat. Others are a bit broken so I hid those in between. I also experimented with how to assemble the dish. Trying to line up the noodles with the chicken on the bottom proved to be too difficult. In the end I layered it as such:
- Alfredo Sauce
- Chicken on top along the edge
- Mushroom-Onion mixture in the center
- Alfredo Sauce
- Parmesan Cheese
Baked Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo Rigatoni
- 1 lb (500g) Rigatoni Noodles
- 1 Jar Alfredo Sauce
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup (220g) Sour Cream
- 1 lb (500g) Mushrooms
- 1/2 Onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 Chicken Breast, sliced thin
- 2T (30g) Melted Butter
- 1 T (15g) Italian Seasoning
- 1 Garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Cup (160g) Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Green Onions, Basil and Thyme, chopped for garnish
- Cook rigatoni noodles according to instructions. Toss with butter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Heat 1T Olive Oil and saute mushrooms and onions until soft. Drain liquid. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on chicken and chicken until cooked through and no longer pink. Set aside.
- Mix together Alfredo Sauce, eggs, sour cream and garlic.
- Spray a 10inch Springform Pan with cooking spray.
- Stand rigatoni vertically in the pan. Pour Alfredo Sauce mixture over noodles. Reserve about 1 cup. Layer mushroom mixture and chicken over noodles. Pour remaining 1 cup of Alfreda sauce on top.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
- Broil 3-4 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.
- Let the pasta rest for 10 minutes before removing outer ring of springform.
- Garnish with chopped herbs.