I’m loving these Low Calorie Beef Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers! The quinoa and beef mixture with the Mexican spices and then stuffed in a bell pepper is incredibly delicious!
There are just so many ways to enjoy Mexican food! Taco shells, tortilla wraps, as a casserole, and now Bell Peppers. Seriously bell peppers! Who would have thought. It’s a super low calorie way to create a healthy vessel for any kind of stuffing mixture. You can use green, yellow or red- it doesn’t really matter. Each pepper is halved and stuffed with a flavorful mixture of beef and quinoa.
As for the Stuffing mixture, you really can’t go wrong with healthy quinoa and lean ground beef. I know. This sounds crazy. Quinoa, beef, Bell Peppers- Mexican style! But it’s a delicious and healthy dinner. So healthy you can add a bit of Cheddar Cheese and a spoonful of sour cream without feeling guilty!
The recipe makes plenty of Beef Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers. Just reheat them in the oven or even the microwave and enjoy them the next day. Otherwise, pop them in a freezer proof bag and freeze them for an easy leftover dinner later.
Yields 18 Stuffed Bell Peppers
I'm loving these Beef Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers! The quinoa and beef mixture with the Mexican spices and then stuffed in a bell pepper is incredibly delicious!
30 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 cup uncooked Quinoa
- 8 ounces Ground Beef
- 1 Red Onion, diced small
- 1 cup cooked Corn Kernels
- 1 1/2 cups diced Fresh Tomatoes
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Smoked or Regular Paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese (more for extra cheesy Stuffed Peppers)
- 16-18 Green Bell Peppers
- Limes, Avocado Slices, Sour Cream and Green Onions for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
- Bake the halves Bell Peppers, cut side up for 8 minutes.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté the onions in the oil until soft. Add the beef and brown. Add the garlic to the meat and sauté 1 extra minute.
- Pour in the broth, the seasonings, tomatoes and corn. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa and meat mixture. Add half of the green onions and stir well to combine.
- Divide the quinoa beef mixture into each halved pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 2 more minutes.
- Garnish with extra green onions, avocado slices, limes and sour cream!