Are you looking for the perfect Christmas Cookie? Everyone is going to love these Candy Cane Cookie Sandwiches. Full of candy canes and peppermint extract these cookies just scream MERRY CHRISTMAS!
As the weather gets colder it could only mean one thing… Christmas is almost here! Along with preparing Christmas feasts, wrapping more gifts than your family really needs, fighting for that last toy… There is a lighter, more fun side to the holiday season.
Cookies are a major part of almost every family’s Christmas tradition. We make cookies for Santa Claus, cookies around the fire with a cup of hot chocolate and of course the fun and delicious Holiday Cookie Exchange! A Holiday Cookie Exchange is a lot of fun and pretty simple. Friends come together with plates of cookies to swap, share and enjoy.
This year, we had our Second Annual Cookie Exchange hosted at a wonderful friend’s house. The house was full, hundreds of cookies covered the table and mulled wine filled our cups. It was such a fun… and delicious night! And wow were people creative with their cookies! From Coconut Macaroons to cute Panda Cookies to Gingerbread Truffles and a Sugar Cookie topped with Raspberry Jelly and Meringue (the bigger winner of the night!)…
It was hard to chose which ones to try… So I personally tried all of them… All 20 cookies….
Let’s just say after last night I may have diabetes.
And I’m okay with that!
I brought a plate of Christmas Candy Cane Cookie Sandwiches. A peppermint fluff cream was squeezed between two simple sugar cookies. The peppermint flavor was definitely full on! But that’s what Christmas is about… peppermint and sugar and laughter and friends! And these cookies! Wow! Do I love these cookies!
You’ll notice that my cookies look pretty darn flat and even. (Way to go me!) Note this is something that I probably would never have thought twice about before I became a food blogger. But I have learned in the last year that presentation is just as important as taste. According to the experts, perfect looking cookies means you’re more likely to Pin It, Save It, Make It and Share It. So I worked hard (not really) to make these Candy Cane Cookie Sandwiches look P-E-R-F-E-C-T.
Ok, so how do you get even and flat cookie tops? Take a lightly floured glass cup bottom and gently press down on each cookie. No funky lumps and no uneven tops. Just perfectly flat cookies every time! Literally took 2 seconds and made a serious world of difference. See the pictures below…
While the cookies alone are dynamite! It’s the Candy Cane Marshmallow Filling that makes you grab a second, third, fourth…. They’re really good! Just trust me! The recipe included is enough to fill 60 sandwiches- not individual cookies so you will have leftovers. Store it in a tupperware in the refrigerator and use it for another batch later!
Merry Christmas from the coolest bunch of ladies in Shanghai!
- 1 cup Butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 7oz jar Marshmallow Fluff
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 2 1/4 cups Powdered Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 2 Candy Canes, finely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt until a crumbly dough forms.
- Roll dough into small balls and place 1" apart on a cookie sheet. Use the bottom of a cup (lighlty floured) to slightly press down on each cookie.
- Bake 8 minutes.
- Beat butter and fluff. Add sugar, extract and candy canes and beat until fluffy and smooth.
- Place a piping bag (fitted with a large piping tip) in a tall glass. Spoon in the filling.
- Pipe a circle along the outside of the bottom of one cookie. Top with a second cookie.
- Roll the edge of the cookies in red sprinkles to coat.
Sugar Cookie Recipe adapted from Add a Pinch