I absolutely love this recipe for Carrot Zucchini Bars because it’s not very sweet. You could imagine that I eat my fair share of cakes, pies and sweet treats on a regular basis. But I was really in the mood for something that wasn’t going to send me into a diabetic coma. Since my delivery of fresh vegetables from Goma Greens included zucchinis and carrots this week I decided I would satisfy my urgings with delectable Carrot Zucchini Bars! The combination of the carrots, zucchinis and raisins resulted in a deliciously moist bar.
I used agave (although you could also use honey) and brown sugar which offered a subtle sweetness to the bars. The carrots and raisins provide extra sweetness as well. If you’re going to top them with cream cheese frosting, which is super sweet, go ahead and reduce the brown sugar to a mere 1/2 cup. I promise you won’t miss the sugar kick at all.
A deliciously moist recipe for Carrot Zucchini Bars that's so healthy too!
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 cup Agave or Honey
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Raisin
- 1 medium Zucchini, shredded
- 2 medium Carrots, shredded
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 pieces Sugared Ginger, chopped very small
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 4 ounces Butter, softened
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 5-6 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 2-3 Candied Gingers, chopped
- A Handful of Walnuts, crushed
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, combine the zucchini, carrots, raisins, oil, agave, lemon zest, vanilla and ginger.
- Stir the zucchini mixture into the flour mixture making sure to combine well. Stir in the beaten eggs.
- Pour into a 9x13 pan, lined with parchment paper and lightly greased.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. Test the center with a toothpick to check if it's done.
- Cool completely on a wired rack. When cooler, cut into bars and serve with Ginger Frosting and crushed walnuts.
- Cream together the butter and cream cheese in an electric mixer on high speed.
- Add vanilla
- Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time, combining well after each addition. Repeat up to 6 cups.
- Add a 1/2 tablespoon of heavy cream at a time to thin out the frosting.
- Stir in the candied ginger.