Strawberries are in season here in Shanghai, so it’s the time to buy in bulk and store them for those days when you wish you had strawberries, but can’t find them. After all, this isn’t the USA. Out of season fruits are not available out of season. It’s that simple.
Another thing about China’s strawberries is they won’t last for days in the refrigerator. Before you head off to the fruit market to buy 20 kilos of strawberries, you need to have a game plan of how you are going to use them. I have two plans for the 5lbs of strawberries I bought.
I froze 4lbs of the strawberries right off the bat! Simply wash the strawberries and remove the green hull. Half the big pieces but keep the small ones whole. Line on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze in a single layer. Once frozen, toss them in a freezer bag and use in for strawberry jam, strawberry ice cream, toss them into a smoothie, bake them in a cake…
I then took one pound of the fresh strawberries and made Chunky Strawberry Sauce. My daughter loves strawberry sauce on everything, but hates the store bought bottle. So, to make her happy, I made her a jar of the tastiest Chunky Strawberry Sauce to ever reach my lips! But I mean come on, how can you not love Strawberry Sauce?
My favorite way to enjoy this sauce? With a spoon.
My daughters favorite way? A top a stack of my Better Than Your Friends’ Pancakes! Yummy!
The simplicity of this recipe is the best! Strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and water. 10m minutes on the stovetop and that’s it!
Super tasty and easy to make strawberry sauce to top your favorite pancakes, cheesecake or ice cream!
- 1½ pounds Strawberries, hulled
- ⅓ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1T Cornstarch + ¼ Cup Water
- Combine strawberries, sugar and water. In a wide bottom pan, bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes. Skim any foam off the top.
- Add cornstarch + water. Stir well and return to simmer for 1 minutes.
- Use a potato masher, and mash strawberries.
- Use immediately or pour into a jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.