I love days that are so busy I can hardly catch my breath, but end with the aroma of garlic, onions and lemon wafting through my kitchen. I feel like I’ve really accomplished something on those days.
I was a bit hesitant to make this recipe today because I was worried it would be super complicated. I got home at 3:45 so I had very little one to prep and make dinner. The picture for the recipe online looked quite complex and intimidating. Like something that would require hours of slaving over to make. SEE!!!!!!
Deciding to give it a shot since assessment week at the school = no homework, I was shocked how easy this recipe was to make. Seriously! Start to finish was 40 minutes!!! The key to this is…. All of the chopping and squeezing and measuring can be done while the chicken is browning during the first step. SWEET! Don’t be intimidated by it! So easy!
Need a starchy side to call it a meal? I served the Creamy Lemon Chicken with mashed potatoes but it would have been equally delicious with fettuccine noodles. YUMMY!!
Creamy Lemon Chicken
- 8 chicken thighs, washed and patted dry
- 3 T butter
- 1 1/2 large Onions, finely chopped
- 10 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 2 t Paprika
- 1 t Smoked Paprika
- 1 t Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Lemon
- 1 Lemon Peel, grated
- 4 fresh sprigs of thyme
- Lemon wedges and Fresh Thyme for garnish
- Season chicken with salt.
- Melt the butter in a large oven-proof pan on medium heat. Place the chicken, skin side down, and fry until golden and crisp (cover to avoid chicken grease splatter) Turn chicken and continue to fry until browned (total time about 20-25 minutes)
- Take off the heat; transfer chicken onto a plate and drain fat from the pan, reserving about 4 T for enhanced flavor. Set aside.
- Return the pan to the stove and reduce heat to low. Add the chopped onion, garlic, paprikas, pepper and sprigs of thyme to the oil left in the pan. Stir occasionally until garlic is fragrant and onion is transparent.
- Preheat oven to broil setting on medium heat.
- Pour in the stock, cream, grated lemon peel and lemon juice and bring to a slow simmer. Nestle chicken over sauce, cover with lid and simmer gently in the sauce for a further 10 minutes, or until
- Place the pan into the oven and allow the skin to crisp up (it takes about 5 minutes).
- Serve with lemon slices and fresh thyme.