Some mornings I’m all about eating healthy. Eggs, oatmeal, fruit. Other mornings my body is hankering for a bit more of a splurge. This morning was one of those mornings. It’s been a while since I’ve made waffles. Mm mm…. Crispy and so easy to make!
This recipe only requires 6 ingredients: water, flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and heavy cream. I was skeptical at first that it would hold well. Before folding in the heavy cream, the batter was really thick. Don’t worry. Once you fold in the cream, it’ll be the right consistency. It did take a bit of rough folding to combine the cream into the batter, but in the end they were super tasty and very crispy!
I bet you these would be delicious at dinner with fried chicken. I’ve never made Chicken and Waffles, but this recipe has got me thinking of the possibilities.
If you serve the waffles with chopped strawberries or other naturally sweet fruit, you can really limit the amount of syrup you drench it with. In fact, I would say that this waffle would have been better without syrup. Syrup made the middle of the waffle a bit soggy. If you HAVE to use then perhaps serve it in a little ramekin on the side.
I’m going to warn you…. Crispy Waffles are high in calories! Rounding in at 330 calories a piece, I had to ask myself… as tasty as they were, was 330 calories at breakfast worth it? Well… It was really delicious, but I’ll have to save this recipe for a special morning splurge, probably 6 months down the road.
I hope you love the recipe… As for me I’m going for a walk to burn some of this tasty baby off!
Crispy Waffles (makes 10- 1/2 cup batter each)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1T sugar
- 1/2T Salt
- 1t Baking Powder
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- Pour water in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk into the water the dry ingredients to form a thick batter.
- With an electric mixer, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Fold cream into batter. Keep folding until combined but batter should be lumpy.
- Lightly grease waffle maker. Pour 1/2 cup batter on maker and close.
- Close the waffle maker and cook until golden brown.
- Serve warm with powdered sugar, fresh fruit, whipping cream, and/or syrup!