Mashed potatoes is a simple dish that really works well with just about anything. Potatoes, milk and butter. But here’s a little secret to my mashed potatoes…. add some cauliflower to it. The taste of the cauliflower really adds a special zing to such a classic dish and not to mention it’s an easy way to sneak a new vegetable into your kids diet.
I’ve made straight up Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes before without any potatoes, and personally as much as I loved it, it was very cauliflower-y. But when I did a mix between the two white vegetables my whole family gobbled it up.
Since my last Goma Greens box included both potatoes and cauliflower I was so inspired to make Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes to go with my Slow Cooker Barbecue Brisket.
The sweetness of the barbecue, with the zing of the mashed potatoes and the tenderness of the brisket was WIN-WIN-WIN! And to think I almost made Polenta instead… tsk tsk…
Take a classic dish to a whole new level!
- 1 head of Cauliflower
- 5 medium Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 ounces Cream Cheese
- 1 1/2 ounces Butter
- 1 1/2 ounces shredded White Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- Green Onions, sliced thin
- In a large stockpot add the cauliflower, potatoes and enough water to cover. Cook the potatoes and cauliflower until they are super soft. Drain very well.
- With a potato masher, mash both vegetables.
- Stir in butter, cream cheese and white cheddar cheese.
- Before serving, over low heat, pour in the milk and cream. Stir constantly to heat the cauliflower and potatoes mixture.
- Sprinkle with sliced green onions.
You can substitute 1 cup of milk for the heavy cream.