As the weather changes from cool to cold, you’ll need a delicious and easy recipe for Decadent Hot Chocolate to warm you up. Made with heavy cream, milk and two kinds of chocolate your belly will love you for it!
Yes, you can take the easy way out and buy pre-made mix but making your own is super easy. By skipping the store-bought stuff and go for homemade, you can adjust the amount of chocolate and sugar to make this Decadent Hot Chocolate a little bit healthier. (Although it tastes AMAZING just as it is!)
Making hot chocolate can be a whole family affair! Go ahead and get the kids involved! Younger kids can help you measure the ingredients and plop in the marshmallows! Older kids can whisk the milk while it’s heating. Everyone can customize their hot chocolate by adding their favorite mix-ins!
Once you’ve made the base for the Hot Chocolate have some fun with the flavors! Add a shot of espresso to make a Cafe Mocha. Enjoy the taste of chocolate and peanut butter? Add a spoonful of your favorite peanut butter, almond butter or even Nutella. A drizzle of caramel will turn this drink into a Snickers Hot Chocolate! Have fun with the recipe! Experiment with the flavors to create the perfect cold weather treat!
There are a few tips to creating a delicious cup of Hot Chocolate.
- Always heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning the milk.
- Once hot, whisk for a few minutes to evenly distribute the chocolate. Or, if you have an immersion (hand) blender, give the heated Hot Chocolate a quick blend for a frothy taste.
- For a rich and creamy hot chocolate use a combination of full fat milk and heavy cream. Avoid skim milk which will leave your drink thin.
This recipe was featured in December’s issue of Shanghai Family Magazine.
As the weather changes from cool to cold, you'll need a delicious and easy recipe for Decadent Hot Chocolate to warm you up.
5 minCook Time
5 minTotal Time
- 2 1/2 cups Milk
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/3-1/2 cup Sugar (if you're not adding mix-ins, use 1/2 cup sugar)
- 4 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tablespoons Dark Cocoa Powder
- Mini-Marshmallows, Chocolate Shavings, Whipped Cream
- Nutella, Caramel, Coffee, Peanut Butter, Ground Cinnamon, Grated Orange Peel, Cinnamon Sticks, Cayenne Pepper, Candy Cane, After-Dinner Chocolate Mints
- In a medium sized pan, add all of the hot chocolate base ingredients. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk away any lumps for a creamy hot chocolate.
- Heat until the hot chocolate is hot but not boiling. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- While the hot chocolate is still hot, stir in your mix-ins.
- Pour into your mugs and serve with your favorite garnishes.
Remember to check out Shanghai Family Magazine every month for more recipes and useful information about Family life in Shanghai!