Dragonfruit is in season and I couldn’t help but grab a couple when I was at the fruit market this week. Unfortunately it’s only me and my littlest nomad who likes dragonfruit. Which is a shame I know but it’s not like I can force feed them! Or could I….
But I had an idea! My kids love raspberry jam. The bright purple color of the dragonfruit looks like raspberry jam. So guess what I’m going to do? Yep! Turn this yummy fruit into a jam that may or may not fool my family.
I’ve had a dragonfruit and orange salad before and it was yummy. The acidity of the orange compliments the dragonfruit beautifully. Since tangelo’s are still all over the fruit market, I figured I couldn’t go wrong if I combined these two fruits to make the ultimate…. DRAGONFRUIT JAM!
Now that I have a lot of this beautiful purple jam, what am I going to do with it? I’m thinking a Pinwheel Danish or perhaps layered between sheets of puff pastry and vanilla custard….
What would you do with Dragonfruit Jam?
Surprise your family and friends with a unique jam recipe!
- 2lbs Dragonfruit, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Tangelo, juiced
- 1 Lemon Peel with white pith
- 1 Cup Sugar (or less)
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 3T Cornstarch + 3T Cold Water
- Add dragonfruit, tangelo juice, lemon peel, sugar and 1/4 cup water to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to melt the sugar. While waiting for the jam to boil, mash down on the lemon peels to extract its natural pectin.
- Once it's boiling, reduce heat to simmer and stir continuously for about 20 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch mixture. Continue simmering, stirring constantly for 2 more minutes until the jam is nice and thick.
- Pour immediately in a jar and cool.
You can substitute lemons or oranges for the tangelo. Serve Dragonfruit Jam in place of strawberry or raspberry jam for a surprising and unique twist!