What’s better than canned Cream of Mushroom Soup? Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup! So creamy and so simple to make it’s the perfect compliment to any dinner on a cold winter day!
I love this recipe because it’s simple. And it’s creamy. I don’t know if I love it more because of its simplicity or its creaminess but this is my favorite recipe for delicious Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup. My favorite part? Absolute favorite? I top my soup with extra sauteed mushrooms! This little extra steps
It’s those little things that make a world of difference.
By the way, the soup freezes very nicely. Just don’t add the cream before freezing- add it when you reheat the soup.
Seriously isn’t this the simplest and prettiest bowl of Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup ever?
Love the bowl as much as I do? If you’re in Shanghai, pay attention on the street for vendors who sell bowls, plates and other ceramic items. They usually have them in the same style cart that they use for selling fruit. I bought this one (and about 10 more) from a guy next to Carrefour Gubei. And don’t forget to haggle on the price! I paid 20RMB for this one- that’s less than $3! I just loved the blue lining. Unfortunately these types of vendors only have a few of each item so don’t expect to buy a whole set. But they’re perfect for food bloggers like me who only need 1 or 2. At this point I need a dedicated closet for my food blog supplies! (shhh! This food blogger has a shopping problem!)
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup tastes so much better than anything you'll ever buy.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 T (30g) Butter, divided
- 1/2 Onion, large, chopped
- 1 pound (500g) Mushrooms, slice the tops and dice the stems into small pieces
- 3c (750ml) Water
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Heavy Cream
- Salt and pepper
- Green Onions, chopped for garnish
- Sauté onions in butter for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add the mushroom bottoms and HALF of the sliced mushroom tops. Stir to mix. Continue sautéing until the liquid reduces.
- Add the water, season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small pan, melt the last tablespoon of butter. Add the remaining half of the mushroom tops. Set aside and keep warm.
- Purée the soup with hand blender until creamy.
- Return to boil and simmer until the soup reduces a bit and thickens.
- Stir in heavy cream and reserved mushroom tops right before serving.