My kids love Spanish Rice with their tacos. I used to buy the box of Rice-A-Roni in the USA because it was really convenient. Only thing is it’s packed with salt!! Lots of salt! So another great thing about being an expat in China is convenient pantry items like Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice doesn’t exist here. I’ve never seen it and I’ve never looked for it. Since London I’ve been making Easy Homemade Spanish Rice using fresh vegetables, tomato sauce and rice. But my little secret to killer Spanish Rice? Smoked Paprika! I’m telling you I’m obsessed with this stuff. Whatever you add it to will make it taste amazing- except salad! My ayi always sees me use it so she decided to season a fresh salad with it a few weeks ago. Um no. Please don’t do that again and thank you.
I also love this Easy Homemade Spanish Rice because it’s one pot! One Pot dishes are the best aren’t they? So what did I do with the rice? I served it with Tacos, but the rice is also delish on the side with Baked Chicken or Fried Chicken.
This Easy Homemade Spanish Rice is so much better than Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice because it's homemade!
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Green Bell Peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 cup White Rice
- 8 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups Water
- Salt and Pepper
- teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pot. Sauté the onions, green peppers and celery until softened (3-5 min)
- Add the garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- Add the rice and stir well to mix the veggies with the rice.
- Pour in the water and tomato sauce, salt, pepper, cumin and Paprika. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes over low heat.