EASY Strawberry Shortcakes are absolutely delicious and so easy! Make the shortcakes in a food processor! Just add lots of strawberries and whipping cream!
I love Strawberry Shortcakes! There’s a Strawberry Festival in Toledo every year that I used to love to go to. I would go and just buy Strawberry Shortcakes! They have a biscuit-like cake and are topped with a whole heap of strawberries and of course a generous portion of whipping cream. Well I’m thousands of miles away from the festival now, but that doesn’t mean I can’t still enjoy them right? I’ve made Strawberry Shortcakes plenty of times- usually cutting the butter into the flour. Well that’s a pain in the kisser so I decided to simplify the process with this recipe for EASY Strawberry Shortcakes! And when I say easy I mean EASY!
They’re so easy because you make the shortcake in the food processor. Pulse the butter and dry ingredients, slowly pour in the buttermilk to form a ball then add an egg, pulsing a few times to incorporate it all together. Drop the dough into 12 shortcakes and then bake them for 15-18 minutes…. and to be honest it’s not a big deal if you over bake them (just don’t burn them). In the end you’re going to spoon over the strawberries which will soften the shortcake to the perfect consistency.
Now if you have to serve them right away then do that. But if you can be patient and wait a good 30 minutes or so, you’ll have a shortcake that’s soaked in strawberry liquid. The result? Heaven!
Here’s a secret…. the strawberries that you toss with the sugar will become soft. So add a few fresh strawberries to it before serving. This little trick will add a beautiful freshness to these Easy Strawberry Shortcake!
MMM! Give me one more please…
Yields 12 large shortcakes
Your family and friends are going to love these Easy Strawberry Shortcakes! They're absolutely delicious and so you make the shortcakes in the food processor! Doesn't get any easier!
45 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 2 pounds fresh Strawberries
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 ounces Butter, very cold and grated
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk (1 tablespoon Vinegar and add enough milk to make 3/4 cup)
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Add sugar to the strawberries and let sit in the refrigerator while preparing the biscuits. The longer the better.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a food processor pulse the dry ingredients and the butter until a coarse crumble forms.
- With the food processor turned on, slowly add the buttermilk. Keep mixing until a ball forms.
- Then add the egg and pulse a few times to incorporate the egg. DO NOT OVER PROCESS or you'll end up with a gummy shortcake.
- Drop 12 equal sized dough balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until tops are golden. Cool before assembling.
- With an electric mixer, beat all ingredients on high for 1-2 minutes then increase speed and whip until soft peaks form. Do not over mix!
- Cut the shortcakes in half. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.