Some people love mushrooms others hate it. If you hate mushrooms this recipe is not for you. It’s okay. I’m not mad or upset. Nor am I going to try to convert you. But if you love mushrooms, then I suggest you read on…
This recipe is for you die-hard mushroom connoisseurs. It’s for those of you who order the Mushroom Lovers Pizza. It’s for those of you who forgo a bowl of French Onion Soup for Cream of Mushroom.
Five Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo truly lives up to its name.
For starters, I used four mushrooms native to China, two of which I was unfamiliar with before moving here:
- White Button Mushroom
- Baby Shiitake Mushrooms
- Enoki Mushrooms
- Trumpet or French Horn Mushrooms
That’s four. I know…
The fifth mushroom flavor is from the noodles. I picked up a package of Mushroom Fettuccine from City Shop a while back. The noodles on their own weren’t overtly mushroom-y but they did offer a nice color to the dish. No worries. If you can’t find mushroom noodles go ahead and use white or wheat pasta.
So if your love mushrooms as much as I do, go ahead and give this recipe a go!
This recipe is for the all of you Mushroom Lovers out there! Enjoy!
- 3 ounces Butter, divided
- 2 pounds different types of Mushrooms, like Button, Shiitake, Enoki and Trumpet
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 pound Mushroom or Plain Fettuccine Noodles, cooked according to package directions (reserve 1 1/2 cups of noodle water)
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Reserved Noodle Water + Reserved Mushroom Water
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese, divided
- Prepare the Mushrooms: slice thin 1 1/2 pounds of the mushrooms. Dice into small pieces the remaining 1/2 pound.
- Add 1 1/2 pounds of sliced mushrooms and 3 cloves of garlic.
- Sauté until mushrooms softened (about 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside mushrooms and their liquid.
- To Make the Sauce
- Heat 2 ounces butter and sauté 3 remaining garlic cloves with small diced mushrooms.
- Add flour and stir continuously to make a roux.
- Slowly whisk in heavy cream until a thick cream forms. Add 1 1/2 cups mushroom-noodle water. Whisk well to combine.
- Add 1 cup of Parmesan Cheese to the sauce and allow to melt, stirring constantly.
- Before serving, mix the Alfredo Sauce and Noodles together. Add up to 1/2 cup reserved mushroom-noodle water to thin out. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- To serve, pour noodles into a bowl and top with sauteed sliced mushrooms and more parmesan cheese.