This recipe for Heart of Palm and Blood Orange Spinach Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing sounded really good. The salad is loaded with exotic flavors and drizzled with an amazing homemade Blue Cheese Dressing!
I’m always looking for a delicious and healthy salad to make. Salads are my favorite part of the meal, but I’m really the only one in my family who eats them. Sometimes one or two of my kids will put a half a spoon of salad in their plate, and half the time they don’t eat it. So since it’s mostly for me, I make the salads that I want to make and I try to get as creative as I can with it.
I recently found blood oranges at Fields and following my commitment to go through my pantry by summertime, I decided to add Heart of Palm to it. What’s Heart of Palm? I was first introduced to Palmito by my Brazilian sister in law. That’s Brazilians out this in everything including salads. Like the name implies, this vegetable comes from the palm tree. Then it’s pickled in a brine and jarred.
The flavor of Heart of Palm and the Blood Oranges work very well with this homemade Blue Cheese Dressing too. The Dressing is super easy to make but don’t make it right before you serve it. It needs to be refrigerated for at least an hour for the flavors to develop.
I love this Heart of Palm and Blood Orange Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing and I bet you will too!!
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- 2 cups (250 grams) Spinach Leaves
- 4-6 Heart of Palms, sliced thin
- 1/4 Red Onion, sliced thin
- 3 Blood Oranges, peeled and segmented (other citrus fruit would also work like oranges, tangerines or grapefruit)
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk (or add a little less than 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar to a 1/3 cup container. Fill the rest of the container with milk and wait 5 minutes)
- 4 ounces Blue Cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- Pinch of Sugar
- Mix all of the ingredients for the blue cheese dressing. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- For the salad, layer the spinach on the bottom of a serving plate. Top with the Hearts of Palm, red onions and blood oranges.
- Drizzle blue cheese dressing over the salad and top with green onions before serving.