Shanghai Family Magazine September’s issue is out! Enjoy this recipe for a Grilled Lamb Kafta from the Swiss Butchery this weekend!
Don’t put away those grills just yet Shanghai! Great weather and lots of sun are still in the forecast through October. However, I’m sure you’ve grilled a fair share of burgers and hotdogs this year. So how about introducing a new and delicious Mediterranean dish to your family tonight?
Kafta is a traditional Lebanese lamb dish that mixes ground lamb with spices, onions and parsley which is then grilled. It's simple, delicious and will be the highlight of your next barbecue!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 2lb (1 kilo) Ground Lamb Shoulder (60% meat, 40% fat)
- 1 onion, shredded
- 1 bunch Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped Mint
- 1/2 tablespoon Allspice
- Salt and pepper
- 16 Wooden Skewers
- 1 cup (250ml) Yogurt
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, seeded, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, choose
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- Use your hands to mix together all of the ingredients.
- Shape the mixture into 3" (8cm) log-shaped sausages.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour so the meat holds together.
- Meanwhile soak the wooden skewers in water to prevent them from burning when grilling. Then insert the skewers into the meat.
- Turn grill on high to heat up. Add the skewers and reduce the heat to low.
- Grill the Kafta for 4-6 minutes then turn them to grill the other side for 4-6 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Mix together all of the ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This can be made the night before