This One Pot Lebanese Bulgur with Chicken, Tomatoes and Chickpeas is the ultimate healthy dish. At only 185 calories and 15 grams of protein per serving, you won’t feel guilty for eating two helpings!
**RECIPE AND PHOTO UPDATE!!**
Are you tired of the same old, same old taco, spaghetti, stir fry rotation? How about introducing a classic Lebanese dish to the mix? A one pot masterpiece with ingredients that you probably have at home but never thought of combining, my kids shovel this up like its ice cream. Okay maybe it’s not as amazing as ice cream… but Bulgur with Chicken, Tomatoes and Chickpeas is so flavorful it’ll make even the most picky eaters ask for seconds.
You can pick up Bulgur at many stores in Shanghai. Check out CityShop, Hunter Gatherer or Sprout Lifestyle. Conversely you can go online to Epermarket which also sells different textures of Bulgur.
The dish can be made in one pot but if you’re trying to save time just sauté them in a separate pan and add onions and oil residue to pot as directed in the recipe.
In the USA I would serve it with sweet Vidali onions but I haven’t found it here yet. Pita bread and a fresh salad are a delicious compliment to this dish.
This One Pot Lebanese Bulgur with Chicken, Tomatoes and Chickpeas is the ultimate healthy dish. At only 185 calories and 15 grams of protein per serving, you won't feel guilty for eating two helpings!
10 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1/2 Onion, medium, quartered
- 3 medium-sized Chicken Breasts or 6 Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 cups (1L) Water
- 2 T (30ml) Sunflower or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped small
- 2 cups (450g) Coarse Bulgur
- 4 Tomatoes, large, chopped
- 15 oz (420g) Can Chickpeas
- In a large pot, boil chicken with water, onion wedges, bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Season with salt. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from liquid. Reserve chicken and stock. Discard onion wedges, bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Shred chicken.
- In the same pot heat the sunflower oil. Sauté onions until caramelized..
- Return broth to pot. Add bulgur, shredded chicken, diced tomatoes and chickpeas. Bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 25-30 minutes, covered. You may need to add more water during the cooking process if the liquid completely evaporates.