Usually when you’re eating a cabbage salad it’s smothered in mayonnaise and called coleslaw. Creamy, delicious mayonnaise soaked cabbage… Mmmmm….
… Sorry just needed to wipe the drool dripping down my chin…
Okay okay so it’s high in calories but I’m not going to lie… You can give me a serving of KFC coleslaw anytime!
But what if I told you there’s another way to enjoy a cabbage salad without mayonnaise? When looking for a healthier version of anything look no further than Lebanese cuisine.
Lebanese Cabbage Salad is delicious and so easy to make. Best part of all, it’s super healthy for you! Olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar and salt is all it takes to bring out the natural flavors of the cabbage. Add tomatoes, cucumber and mint and you have a complete salad perfect for an outdoor barbecue or Fasoolia (Lebanese Chili)
This classic Lebanese Cabbage Salad is the perfect addition for an outdoor barbecue!
- 1 head Cabbage, cored and shredded
- 8 small vine-ripened Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 English Cucumber, seeded and diced
- 2-3 Green Onions, sliced
- Handful of Mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons White or Rice Vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, adjusting the amount of lemon juice, vinegar and salt to your preference.
- For best taste, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
You can substitute dried mint for fresh mint.