You know you’re a Lebanese cooking goddess once you’ve mastered Authentic Lebanese Rice!
How hard can it be to make the perfect bowl of Lebanese Rice? For some people really hard (I won’t say names!) but there is no reason for that! The recipe and technique is a so easy! I learned this method from my mother-in-law who IMHO makes the best damn Lebanese Rice I’ve ever had! So, just follow her directions and remember Mama Hana’s #1 rule to Authentic Lebanese Rice- DO NOT STIR!
What did you say?
Do not stir the rice! Why?
You’re just not supposed to. My MIL always says leave it alone!
My mom always stirs and it drives me crazy. My rice craziness is at the point where when I’m in town, my mom won’t even make the rice anymore!
After you’ve browned the vermicelli noodles, stir in the rice and the water- for the last time, but the lid on the pot and go away. GO AWAY! Go! Go! Goooo! I don’t care how tempted you are- do not remove the lid and DO NOT STIR! Resist the temptation! Just wait. Have a cup of tea or do a crossword puzzle, check Facebook and come back in 20 minutes.
Remove the lid- watch out for the steam. Give the rice a good fluff with a fork or rice paddle (I always used a fork until I moved to China and discovered the rice paddle- it’s a game changer). Fluff in the butter- place a kitchen towel over the pot and return the lid on the pot for another 10 minutes. That’s it! Just follow the simple steps and you will be a Lebanese cooking goddess!
A quick note on the rice- for the tastiest Authentic Lebanese Rice, use Basmati or in a pinch Jamsine. It’s the perfect rice for Lebanese food!
40 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1/4 cups Vermicelli Noodles
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (Jasmine will also work)
- 4 cups Water
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- Rinse the rice and drain.
- Sauté the vermicelli in vegetable oil until golden brown.
- Add rice and toast for 2 minutes. Add water and salt. Stir.
- Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork or rice paddle. Stir in the butter.
- Cover the pot with a clean dish towel and replace the lid onto the pot.
- Allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes before serving.