Sometimes I can’t decide between Italian or Mexican for dinner. I know it’s a sad problem to have. Oh the struggles of my life! Lucky for me I didn’t have to choose between the two with this delicious recipe for Mexican Stuffed Shells.
I love anything stuffed in jumbo shells, but I can’t find them in China. I’ve looked everywhere including on Taobao. Nada! So when Vicky came to visit she asked what she could bring (so thoughtful isn’t she!) and along with my list of random items I requested jumbo shells. She kindly delivered 4 boxes which should hold me over until Mr. Nomad goes to the USA in August. I have 4 different recipe ideas for the jumbo shells that I can’t wait to make. Thank you Vicky!
The first recipe is for Mexican Stuffed Shells, the perfect recipe for when you can’t decide between Mexican and Italian for dinner. The jumbo shells are stuffed with corn, onions, black beans, and green chiles then topped with cheese and enchilada sauce for the perfect crowd pleasing dish. I added ground beef to the mixture but you could replace that with shredded chicken or make it vegetarian by omitting the meat altogether.
This recipe will make more than a 9×13 pan, so prepare a small pan for the extras. You can either bake them right away or freeze the small pan for a delicious after school quick snack for the kids. Follow the directions exover the whole pan with aluminum foil and seal it in a Ziplock Bag. The night before you make it, remove the pan from the Ziplock bag and set it in the refrigerator overnight. Remove the foil and set it on the counter for 60 minutes before baking. Bake it as per the directions, checking the middle to make sure it’s cooked all the way through.
When you can't decide between Mexican and Italian, these jumbo shells are stuffed with corn, onions, black beans, and green chiles then topped with cheese and enchilada sauce for the perfect crowd pleasing dish.
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
60 minTotal Time
- 12 ounces Ground Beef
- 14 ounce Can Black beans
- 2 cups Corn
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1 small can diced Green Chiles
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce + 1 cup Pasta Water, divided
- 2 cups Shredded Mexican Queso or a mix of Mozzarella and Cheddar Cheese
- 1 box Jumbo Shells
- Serve with Sour Cream and Green Onions
- Cook the jumbo shells according to the package directions. Drain (reserving one cup of pasta water to add to the enchilada sauce) and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the ground beef and onions until the beef is browned. Add the corn, tomatoes, black beans, chiles, and 1/2 cup Enchilada Sauce. Bring to a boil on low heat and let simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spray a 9x13 glass pan and a bread pan with cooking oil. Spread on the bottom of each pan a little bit of the enchilada sauce.
- Stuff each shell with the meat mixture and place in the pan. Pour over the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Remove foul and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and green onions