With just a few Asian ingredients like miso, bok choy and tofu this recipe for Vegan Miso Bok Choy Soup is the perfect healthy soup that your whole family will love!
Ok so as you all know by now the countdown to our departure from Shanghai has begun. What is really overwhelming me right now? The amount of food I have in my pantry! Wow! Between my trips back to the USA where I stock up on “essentials” and just every day shopping here I have accumulated a room of food… A room of food that we need to eat before we leave since we can’t have food in our shipment. I found lots of miso paste and Vietnamese rice noodles so I made a quick soup for the kids. I really didn’t think too much about it and wasn’t even going to post it here until my kids said I had to make it again and I better post it too! I was shocked that such a simple soup recipe could knock my kids socks off that much lol! In less than 1 week I made this recipe for Vegan Miso Bok Choy Soup twice! And my kids and I gobbled it up twice!
The recipe is quite easy and starts with lots of ginger and green onions. Let them steep in water for about 30 minutes so the broth has a subtle ginger flavor.
I’m going to miss buying tofu for $.30 for 1 pound… seriously $.30 at the local wet market. I love the market across the street and I am so sad that it’s closing this week… It’s my life line for picking up various vegetables that I need at the last minute, tofu and eggs. That’s the problem here… the city is in a great big state of flex and so many authentic Chinese buildings like the wet market are being wiped out to make way for new buildings. I wonder when if I ever come back here in let’s say 5 years what will Shanghai look like? It’s constantly changing…. Hopefully the tofu will always be $.30.
10 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 2 inch Ginger
- Green onions - white only
- 8 cups Water, divided
- 1/4 cup Miso Paste
- 1/2 tablespoon Vegetable Bouillon
- 2 heads Bok Choy, quartered or halved depending on size
- 1 Carrot, shredded
- 1 pound Firm Tofu, diced small
- 2 bunches of Vietnamese Flat Rice Noodles (1/2 package)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- Pour 6 cups of water into a large pot and add the ginger and green onions. Use a potato masher to press on the green onions and ginger to help bring out their flavor. Cover with a lid and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and discard the ginger and green onions.
- Add the remaining 2 cups water, vegetable bouillon and miso paste. Stir to mix. Add the carrots and bok choy.
- Bring to a boil and add the rice noodles. Cook for 3-4 minutes on high or until the rice noodles are softened.
- Ladle the Vegan Miso Bok Choy Soup into each bowl and top with the tofu and sesame seeds. Enjoy hot.