Sometimes a recipe is passed down from generation to generation. Other times it’s a creative invention of time honored ingredients. A recipe that is revised over and over again until it’s perfect. Then again there are times when as a blogger, you open your refrigerator and come out with a variety of ingredients that sound so good together you have to make it. The kind of recipe that is so good and so perfect all you can think about is how fast can you publish it for the world to enjoy.
That is the perfect description for today’s recipe- One Pot Kale and Mushroom Pasta. I made it a few weeks ago on a cold Sunday afternoon. The whole family ate two servings leaving nothing for lunch the next day. As a mom, that’s how you know you have a good dish!
Let’s talk about tree elements of this dish.
First the protein. I added chorizo to mine for some protein but you could also use diced chicken or skip the meat and make it vegetarian!
Trumpet mushrooms. Are you familiar with these yet? If you are regular Goma Greens subscriber you’ve had them a few times already. They don’t really look or taste like a mushroom. In fact, they have a meatier flavor which is perfect in pasta.
Last point is the kale. Don’t have kale? Don’t like kale? Use spinach instead. Totally doable!
Whatever you do, don’t forget the handful or two of freshly grated Parmesan Cheese. The cheese adds a delicious bite to the pasta- and my kids will eat anything with cheese on top!
The whole recipe is so easy to make and takes less than 45 minutes for chopping to enjoying. So go for it! Put One Pot Kale and Mushroom Pasta on your menu tonight.
Nothing beats a healthy bowl of One Pot Kale and Mushroom Pasta for dinner! Loaded with mushrooms and kale you can add chorizo or chicken for your protein.
10 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 250g Chorizo, cut into 1 inch pieces or diced Chicken Breast (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Trumpet Mushrooms, sliced into 2" long strips or 250g Mushrooms, sliced thin
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 medium Onion, diced small
- 2 Carrots, diced small
- 2 Celery Sticks, diced small
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 6 sprigs of Thyme Leaves
- 1 cup Kale, stems removed and sliced thin
- 2 cups Tomato Sauce
- 3 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 16 ounces Penne Pasta, uncooked
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat in a large high edged pan. Add the chorizo and cook until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pot and saute the mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in the kale and thyme leaves and cook until brightly green. Stir in the browned Chorizo.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken broth. Add the pasta and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue simmering for 15 minutes or until the water has evaporated.
- Top with a generous handful of Parmesan cheese