Beef and Cabbage Skillet, may not sound like the most exciting dish in the world, but this recipe is loaded with carrots, leeks, tomatoes and of course cabbage. You can make the whole dish in 30 minutes and in one pot, making this a WIN-WIN for everyone! Just serve it with a side of hot rice! It’s the perfect dish for busy days and the weekends when you have better things to do than cook all day!
I’ve made this dish a couple of times, since it’s so easy, but this was the first time that I seriously loved it. The other times it was fine… Nothing so amazing that it needed to be shared with you guys. But with a little practice and experimenting (and advice from Molly) a Meh… Beef and Cabbage Skillet was transformed into one of the tasted dishes I’ve come up with in a while!
Deglazing! I don’t use this technique as often as I should. Deglazing is when you add liquid (usually wine or stock) to a pan to remove the bits that are stuck to your pan. Those bits are where all the flavour is and usually get scrapped off only when I’m washing the pan. What a pity that I was constantly getting rid of the best part of the dish.
The key to proper deglazing is using cold liquid and turning the heat to high. As the liquid boils, it will loosen the flavour packed brown bits! And speaking of browned bits, make sure they’re actually browned, not burnt.
So grab a pan and show the world how delicious Beef and Cabbage Skillet can be!
I used red wine (you can use alcohol-free red wine, grape juice, or beef stock as well) to scrape off the browned bits. The red wine with the bay leaf and cinnamon sticks added an incredible flavour. So yummy! I used 2 cinnamon sticks, because I love love cinnamon, but my Little Nomads found the dish to be a bit too cinnamon-y, so feel free to reduce the sticks to only one. Whatever you do, don’t omit the cinnamon though. It really compliments the red wine and cabbage.
Even the pickiest eaters will love this 30 Minute Cabbage and Beef Skillet, loaded with tomatoes, carrots, leeks and of course cabbage!
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1/2 pound Beef Chunks
- 1/2 cup Red Wine, Grape Juice or Beef Stock, cold
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Leek, sliced green and white parts
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, mashed
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1-2 Cinnamon Sticks, depending on your preference
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 1/4-1 cup Beef Stock
- Hot Rice, to serve
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, sauté beef on olive oil until browned. Add carrots, leeks, garlic, bay leaf and cinnamon sticks. Sauté 2-3 minutes or until aromatic.
- Turn heat to high, and deglaze with red wine or broth, making sure to scrap the bottom.
- Add tomatoes, and cook on medium until they break down. Then add the cabbage and 1/4 cup of beef stock.
- Cover and heat 5-8 minutes. The dish is done win the cabbage is cooked al dente.
- If the stew is dry add up to 1 cup hot beef broth.