Loaded with beef and beans for a healthy dose of protein and vegetables I’m sure you already have, this One-Pot Beef and Rice Mexican Bake will become a family favourite.
After a long weekend spent in the kitchen and being at work all day in Monday the last thing I want to do is cook up a storm on Monday for dinner. Monday dinners have kind of become my night to be a bit lazy. Oh don’t worry I still feed my family a scrumptious meal; it’s just simple AND scrumptious.
In our house we love Mexican night. Tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas… If there’s a tortilla involved my family is all over it. So today, keeping it simple I decided to whip ups delicious new creation based on a recipe from Casserole Queen’s. Their recipe though was a bit more complicated and involved a skillet and a baking dish. But I was feeling a bit… Lazy. Ok I said it again! I’m allowed to feel lazy sometimes! I’m a working woman now. Thanks to a couple of teachers still sorting out their visas, for the next 6 weeks I will be the worlds best Art and Music substitute teacher. Awesome deal for me and the kids! But after my 8-3 job I’m pooped! And the last thing I wanted to do is pull out a bunch of skillets and pans. Especially when this recipe can easily be done in one pot!
Save yourself the extra work and simplify your Monday dinner with this simple and scrumptious One-Pot Beef and Rice Mexican Bake. So delicious no one will ever believe that you didn’t put a lot of effort into dinner. Loaded with beef and beans for a healthy dose of protein and vegetables I’m sure you already have this dish will become a family favourite. And oh did I forget to mention it’s sooooooo easy to make!
A bit of advice… Keep an eye on the liquid level. You do not want it to be a soggy mess and you also do not want it to be too dry. Start out with 1/2 cup of water and if you need to add more, increase pour in another 1/2 cup halfway through the cooking process.
Yields 6 servings
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
60 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 pound Ground Beef
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper (any colour is fine), diced
- 1/2-1 cup Water
- 2 pounds (1 kilo) fresh Tomatoes, diced
- 1 can (14 ounces) Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Green Salsa or Diced Green Chiles
- 2 tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 cups UNCOOKED Rice
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 bunch Green Onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Garnish: Extra sour cream, taco sauce, and green onions.
- Tortilla Chips or Tortilla Wraps (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Sauté the beef, onions and pepper in a Dutch Oven or oven-proof skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the water, tomatoes, black beans, salsa, chili powder, cumin, sugar and oregano. Bring to boil on high then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the rice, green onions, milk and sour cream. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to boil on high the. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Check halfway through cooking and add another 1/2 cup of water if necessary.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with tortilla wrappers or with tortilla chips.
- Enjoy with extra sour cream, green onions and salsa.