Pumpkin Whoopie Pie with Creamy Caramel Pecan Filling is the perfect autumn treat! All pumpkin lovers will gobble these up and since it takes less than 30 minutes to make these you’re going to love making them!
I. LOVE. AUTUMN. I always have! I love the changing of the leaves and wearing sweaters. Mostly I really love pumpkin!
I’m the one who always eats the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. I enjoy seconds and thirds of Pumpkin and Apple Soup. A little secret… I dream of one day being in the USA in the autumn so I can finally try Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte!
Which brings me to my latest pumpkin indulgence.. Pumpkin Whoopie Pie with Creamy Caramel Pecan Filling.
I’ve been tinkering with this recipe from Hummingbird Bakery’s Cupcake cookbook. To be honest it’s incredibly delicious and perfect as is. I love that the recipe calls for oil and not butter since butter is so freaking expensive in China! The only main difference in my recipe is the pumpkin purée. I use a homemade pumpkin purée as opposed to canned (I promise to give you teach you how to make your own pumpkin puree before the end of pumpkin season). I like the taste more but if you don’t have the time or desire to make your own pumpkin purée then go for the canned stuff. No biggie.
Whoopie Pies are not cookies, nor are they pies and they’re really not cakes either. It’s like if a cookie met a cake and fell in love, they would have Whoopie Pie babies lol! That’s really the best way to explain it. They’re small, bite-size actually.
Bite size obviously means less – as in less calories. So by my logic I can eat 8 of them without feeling guilty that I splurged. Perhaps 12 is a splurge… but 8, 8 seems like an acceptable number of Pumpkin Whoopie Pie to consume in one sitting.
Even if I fill the center of each Pumpkin Whoopie Pie with a Creamy Caramel Pecan filling. You heard right…
Forget the maple frosting center. That’s soooo been done. It’s like a caramel pecan pumpkin pie in a single bite and it is heavenly!!
Yields 18 Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Pumpkin Whoopie Pie with Creamy Caramel Pecan Filling is the perfect autumn treat! All pumpkin lovers will gobble these up and since it takes less than 30 minutes to make these you're going to love making them!
10 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
28 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Oil (or Vegetable)
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Purée
- 2 cups Al Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Pinch of Ground Cardamom
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese
- 2 ounces Butter
- 3 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons store bought Caramel Sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1 cup toasted Pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- With an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the oil, sugar and vanilla until combined. Add the egg and pumpkin and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices in batches. Mix on medium until a thick batter forms.
- Use a 1/2 tablespoon spoon to form whoopie pies. Place each mound on the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-10 minutes. Top should be soft and springy to the touch and the sides lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- With a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, caramel, salt and cinnamon. Continue beating until the sugar is incorporated.
- Stir in the pecan pieces.
- Spread the Creamy Caramel Pecan Filling on the bottom (flat side) of one Whoopie Pie. Cover with a second pie.
- Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.