I am excited to announce that I am taking part in Epermarket’s Halloween Contest! The box of ingredients included pumpkin, sweet potatoes, ricotta and phyllo! So, what did I make? A scrumptious Halloween Purple Potato and Pumpkin Baklava with Mint Tea!
I am super excited to tell you that I was invited by Epermarket to participate in their halloween basket challenge. I got the message while on vacation and was pretty much hoping off the wall with excitement. The only problem was I would have to wait a week to receive my box of goodies. I couldn’t wait to get home and open my box to see what ingredients I would have to work with. After a few more days basking in the Vietnamese sun followed by a whirlwind tour of Hanoi I returned to Shanghai. The next day my box arrived. I told my ayi that when this special box arrives do not touch it. Do not open it. Nothing. I wanted to be the one to crack open the lid and check out the contents first.
Before I get to the contents let me tell you a little bit about Epermarket’s Halloween selection. They have everything you need for a successful and spooky celebration. They seriously thought of everything you could imagine. Witch Hats, Pumpkin Buckets, Carving Kits, Decorations, Face Masks, Costumes and Make Up Kits and lots and lots and lots of candy!! Gosh I love Halloween!!
Back to the box…. Wow was there a lot of goodies to check out!
- Pumpkin (actually a Red Kuri Squash but it’s very similar to a pumpkin)
- Purple Potatoes
- Soft Ricotta Cheese
- Carambar Caramel
- Green Pistachios
- Brazil Nuts
- Organic Mint
- Bougon Bouche Fraiche Cheese Slices
- Salted Butter
- Organic Eggs
Um… Yea…. Well… Hmmm… Ok….
My reaction exactly…. Until I saw the final ingredient….
- Phyllo Dough
I knew exactly what I was going to make but I just had to figure out the execution of it…
Purple Potato and Pumpkin Baklava with Ricotta Cream and Mint Tea!
There was 1 important rule… I had to use all of the ingredients from the box and I couldn’t add anything else, except salt, pepper and sugar. When I came up with the recipe I was a bit worried that I couldn’t add any other ingredients (like heavy cream, rose water, orange blossom) So, the execution part required a very long phone conversation with Molly. But in the end it was decided. a 4 layered baklava, caramel nuts with a cup of Mint Tea (thanks Els for Mint Tea idea).
I know it sounds crazy (mostly because the ingredients I was given were totally crazy!!) but the combination of everything together was absolutely delicious!
Thanks to this box I now have a couple of Epermarket obsessions…
I am absolutely hooked on Caramba Caramel’s! Please get them away from me… NOW!
And the sweetened ricotta cream was beautiful with a hint of tartness from the Bouche Fraiche cheese. Bouche Fraiche I learned is a goat cheese and it’s amazing! I’ve got a million ideas for the rest of it.
And the phyllo… I can stop hoarding phyllo dough from the USA! Woohoo… Epermarket’s phyllo dough is perfect for baklava!
So after all is said and done, will I make Purple Potato and Pumpkin Baklava with Ricotta Cream and Mint Tea?
You bet I will! Who wants to try?
Yields 1 Purple Potato and Pumpkin Baklava with Ricotta Cream and Mint Tea
This will make one delicious Halloween Purple Potato and Pumpkin Baklava with Mint Tea but you can easily double, triple or quadruple the recipe to make more! Dip each bite with ricotta cream and enjoy with a glass of Mint Tea.
60 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 sheet Phyllo Dough
- 1 tablespoon Butter, melted
- 1 Egg White + 1 teaspoon water
- 1 Purple Potato, peeled
- 1/4 Red Kuri Squash or Pumpk, peeled and seeded
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1/2 cup chopped Brazilian Nuts
- 12 Caramels
- 1/2 cup crushed Green Pistachios
- 1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Fraiche Cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bunch Organic Mint
- 2 cups Water
- Purple Potato: Boil the purple potato. Drain the water and mash very well. Melt 2 caramels in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and reheat for another 30 seconds. Immediately stir the caramel to the sweet potato. Spoon into a piping bag.
- Pumpkin: Boil the pumpkin. Drain the water and mash very well. Strain for 10 minutes to get rid of the excess water. Melt 2 caramels in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and reheat for another 30 seconds. Immediately stir in the caramel to the pumpkin. Spoon into a piping bag.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Phyllo Stacks: Use a round cookie cutter to cut the phyllo dough into medium-sized circles. Make 3 stacks. Brush 2 stacks, each layer with melted butter, and stack 8 phyllo doughs on top of each other. Stack the 3rd phyllo stack with butter, but brush the top with the egg white wash. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the phyllo dough is golden brown and crispy.
- Caramel Brazilian Nuts: Over medium heat, toast the Brazilian nuts in a pan until aromatic. Remove from heat and set aside. Over low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add 1/2 of the caramels and stir continuously until the caramel is nearly melted. Add the remaining half of the caramels and continue melting the caramel until smooth. Top with caramel Brazilian Nuts. Stir well to combine. IMMEDIATELY spoon the caramel nuts on 1 buttered phyllo stack. Set aside.
- Mix together the ricotta, fraiche cheese and sugar very well. Spoon into a piping bag and refrigerate.
- Place the buttered phyllo dough with the caramel nuts on a plate. Top with the second buttered phyllo stack. Pipe the pumpkin and purple potato mixture onto the phyllo stack. Top with the egg-wash phyllo dough and sprinkle the crushed green pistachios on top.
- Pipe the ricotta cream around the baklava.
- Sprinkle with more green pistachios
- Bring 2 cups of water to boil.
- Remove from heat and add the mint. Allow to simmer 3-5 minutes.