It’s confession Sunday. I spend a lot of time on social media. A lot. Maybe too much. I don’t think I need an intervention yet, but maybe I’m getting close.
My newest obsession? Instagram!
A picture is worth a thousand words and when you’re looking for recipe inspiration, there’s nothing like a cool picture to grab your attention and get your creative juices flowing.
On my latest Instagram binge, I came across something I’ve heard of but I’ve never seen nor do I recall eating…
Purple Dragon Carrots from Kate and Kimi (an online grocer here in Shanghai). Intrigued, I headed straight to their site and bought 2 bunches of large purple carrots and knew exactly what I was going to do with them.
(Here’s an interesting fact, did you know that until the 17th century, carrots were actually purple?)
Roasted Purple Dragon Carrot Soup!
I’m a soup junky and I knew these heirloom carrots were going to look amazing in a soup. Seriously! When was the last time you sat down for a bowl of purple anything let alone purple soup?
Since I don’t think I’ve ever tried purple carrots before I needed to rely on my knowledge of regular carrots to build a dynamic flavourful soup that highlighted these purple dragons. The last thing I wanted to do was ruin a beautiful flavour vegetable like a purple carrot by bogging it down with a zillion different spices and ingredeints that take away from the star of the show.
To give the soup a creamy element, I served it with a dollop of Rosemary Sour Cream. The rosemary really paired beautifully with the ginger. But if you want to keep this dish vegan, then skip the sour cream all together.
This Roasted Purple Dragon Carrot Soup with Rosemary Sour Cream is perfect! You could make this soup with regular old orange carrots as well. It was so beautiful and easy to make! Honestly, the hardest part was cleaning the carrots. They were full of fresh dirt (which I have no problem with!) and required a bit of elbow grease to clean. I used a potato scrubber to remove all of the dirt. Some might be annoyed by that, but not this food blogger! I can’t complain about fresh ingredients people!
I found purple carrots on Kate and Kimi and knew exactly what I was going to do with them! You'll love the robust flavours of this carrot soup and the color will wow everyone!
- 2lbs Purple Carrots
- 4T Olive Oil, divided
- 3 Sprigs Rosemary
- 1/2 Cup sliced Shallots
- 1 Ginger, minced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 Celery Stalk, with leaves, chopped
- 1 Potato, skin on, chopped
- 1t Coriander
- 6 Cups Water
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Slice carrots into long sticks. Mix with 2T Olive Oil, 1 sprig Rosemary, salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Roast on in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until tender.
- In a large pot, heat 2T Olive oil and add shallots. Caramelize about 4-6 minutes over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, celery, potato and coriander. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and set aside 3 carrot slices. Add the rest of the carrots to the shallot mixture making sure to include all of the drippings.
- Add water and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Chop finely the last sprig of rosemary. Mix with the sour cream and fresh cracked pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Using an immersion blender or working in batches with a stand blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Slice the carrots that you set aside into small pieces and add to the soup.
- Serve with a lemon zest, dollop of rosemary sour cream and extra caramelised shallots.
You could use orange carrots in place of the purple dragon carrots.