Warm up with a delicious bowl of Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Soup in a Pumpkin Bowl! Full of fall flavors and served in these adorable Pumpkin Bowls your guests are going to think you’re amazing!
Check out Shanghai Family Magazine’s October Issue for this delicious recipe and more exciting information on life in Shanghai!
My favorite season is finally here! I love autumn! I don’t know if it’s the crisp, cool weather that accompanies the season or the changing of the colors of the trees from bright green to warm shades of red, orange and yellow. To me autumn invokes thoughts of Corn Mazes, bonfires and picking pumpkins from the local pumpkin patch. No matter where in the world I’m living, this time of year makes me feel comfortable and happy and most importantly, at home.
When pumpkins arrive at the market, you know autumn is right around the corner. Pick up a couple of pumpkins and make something delicious with them like this Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Soup in a Pumpkin Bowl. Anyone who enjoys pumpkins will love this recipe and everyone will be so impressed that you served in these cute little pumpkin bowls!
When roasting the pumpkins for the pumpkin bowls, keep an eye on the roasting time. Occasionally check them to make sure they’re still sturdy on the outside but the inside can be pierced with a fork. If you roast them too long the walls of the pumpkin will cave in and you will not be able to use them to serve your Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Soup. If this happens, don’t worry. Scoop out the flesh, make another delicious batch of soup and freeze it for later!
10 minPrep Time
1 hr, 10 Cook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 Pumpkin, seeds removed, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 Garlic Cloves, unpeeled
- 1 Leek, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- Black pepper and Salt, to taste
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup (250ml) Water
- 2 cups (500ml) Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup (125ml) Heavy Cream (optional)
- Small-Medium Pumpkins for the Pumpkin Bowls (not mini pumpkins)
- For Garnish: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds, Green Onions and Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Arrange the pumpkin, garlic, and leek on a baking sheet with the leeks and garlic in the middle of the tray.
- Mix together the spices and sprinkle over the vegetables.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft. Remove the garlic peel and discard the peel.
- In a large heavy pot, add the roasted vegetables.
- Add the water and purée with an immersion blender (or add vegetables and water to a blender and purée).
- Bring mixture to a simmer over low heat and slowly pour in the broth. Stir well to combine, reducing the amount of broth if the soup becomes to thin or adding more liquid if it is too thick.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Before serving stir in the cream.
- Ladle into your prepared Pumpkin Bowls and garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds, green onions and a swirl of heavy cream.
- Remove the top off of a small to medium sized pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and pulp.
- Lightly grease, salt and pepper the inside of the pumpkin.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until the inside of the pumpkin is soft but still hard enough to keep its shape.