This incredibly nutritious Vegan Chickpea Stew is loaded with vegetables and incredibly easy to make!
It’s hard to eat healthy and be a food blogger. I’m not a health food blogger (do I need to remind you of the yummy Salted Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats from last week?) I guess if I was it would be easier. But I’m not. And with all these recipes that I pop out I eat waaaaay too much! My main problem? Granola Bars. I had 3 Granola Classes in April and let’s just say I ate waaaaaay too much granola! I could eat a whole tray on my own- I love peanut butter and honey and Oats and chocolate and Cranberries…. Oh goodness I cannot make anymore granola!! It’s just too tempting!
So I am committed to eating healthier for at least a few days. And I’m starting off the week with a super nutritious bowl of Vegan Chickpea Stew! The stew is loaded with my favorite vegetables- potatoes, carrots and of course kale- then served with a side of rice and homemade Laban. Two cups are a serving and is only 230 calories (if you skip the rice). And while the recipe itself is vegan, I really love it with a bowl of homemade Lebanese Laban– I’m not vegan so please don’t judge 😉
Best thing is I bet you have all of the ingredients in your refrigerator and pantry right now. Go check! The ingredients are that simple but the flavor is incredibly exquisite. Wait did I forget to mention that the whole recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make and is a one-pot dish?
I mean seriously people what more can you ask for! Enjoy!
The stew is loaded with my favorite vegetables- potatoes, carrots and of course kale- then served with a side of rice and homemade Laban.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, diced small
- 4 cans Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 6 cups Water
- 1/2 pound (250g) Tomatoes
- 2 Potatoes, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 cup chopped Kale
- 3 large Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 small Bunch Parsley, for garnish
- Lebanese Rice, for serving
- Homemade Laban (Yogurt), for serving
- Saute the onions in a large pot with the olive oil. Once browned, saute the garlic until aromatic.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, water, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and chickpeas.Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the chopped kale before serving.
- Top with chopped parsley.
- Serve with a side of Lebanese Rice and Homemade Laban.