I know I live in China but sometimes I miss the Chinese food from back home. There’s a restaurant in Toledo called Balance, an Asian fusion restaurant. They have these delicious bowls filled with steaming rice, fresh vegetables and different proteins. You can create your own bowl or pick one of their set bowls. It’s so yummy and I make sure to stop there every time I’m in Toledo.
Since my Goma Greens box had so many different vegetables this week, I decided to replicate the delicious goodness that I love from Balance. My favourite vegetable in all of this was the trumpet mushrooms. While ordinary mushrooms get really soggy and mushy when sautéed, trumpet mushrooms retain their tenderness and have a slightly meaty texture. I’m obsessed!
While this is a simple recipe for a Vegetable Buddha’s Bowl, you could always add grilled chicken or steak if you need meat in your dinner (Mr. Nomad’s only complaint in this was Where’s the Beef?! It’s vegetarian honey….) You could also saute firm tofu for a vegetarian protein punch.
No doubt the veggies are scrumptious (it is Goma Greens after all), but the sauce was where it’s at! This recipe for Homemade Stir Fry Sauce is exactly like you would taste at a good Asian American restaurant like Balance. Thick and rich and full of intense Asian flavours.
But it’s got a lot of soy sauce in it so you have two choices. Go for low sodium soy sauce. Or if you are using regular soy sauce, you’ll definitely want to add up to a full cup of brown sugar to cut the sodium taste. Just keep adding more brown sugar until you’re happy with the flavor.
Full of healthy and seasonal vegetables, Veggie Buddha Bowl is a delicious and nutritious dinner. Make it your own by using vegetables you have in your refrigerator.
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 Carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 Daikon, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Red Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small head Broccoli, small florets
- 1 Trumpet Mushroom, cut into matchsticks
- 500g Edamame, boiled and removed from shell
- 1/2 Red Cabbage, thinly sliced (can also use beets)
- 2 cups Brown Rice, cooked
- 1 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon grated Ginger
- 2/3 to 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons Chinese Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons Water
- Thinly sliced Green Onions
- Sauteed Vegetable Directions:
- With a little oil in a wok, saute each vegetable until tender. Set aside and keep warm
- Bring all of the ingredients (except the cornstarch mixture) to a simmer.
- Whisk in the cornstarch and boil for 1 minute to thicken.
- Place a scoop of the rice in the middle of your bowl.
- Surround with sautéed vegetables.
- Drizzle on top the Stir Fry Sauce.
- Garnish with green onions.